Monday, October 4, 2010

Book Review: Free Book


I finished reading this book quite a while ago and have been holding off on reviewing it. Why, you might ask? Well, I just didn't have the passion to get my thoughts together on the subject.

Free Book is a book by Brian Tome. It focuses on freedom in and through Christianity. And it focuses on the ways that we willingly give up that freedom through religious piety, rules and restrictions.

To give you a better glimpse into the type of book we are dealing with, the complete title is Free Book: I am a fanatic about freedom. I'm tired of seeing people beaten down by the world's systems and by religion. God's offering real freedom. Get yours. Yep. That's the full title. I think that the title is important because it betrays a little bit of the edgy, new-church, hipster Christianity vibe that I feel Tome spends way too much time trying to kindle. I mean, you shouldn't have to try to be hip, you should just be hip, right?

The whole book felt a little like an exercise in someone trying to channel their inner Rob Bell. I was "over it' by the end of the first few pages.

I'm all about freedom and I'm all about the subject of this book. In fact, I completely agree with Tome that modern Christianity has become too religious and rule-driven and has lost the spirit of freedom that Christ intended. But, even though we agree, I still struggled through this book.

All in all I give it a 2 out of 5 stars. Harsh, maybe, but I just felt tired after reading this book, not energized. And any book that includes "coming at you hard" in the title is pretty much never going to get a 5 out of 5 from me.

Note for Full Disclosure: While I do not receive any monetary compensation for my book reviews, I am provided with free complimentary copies of each book. That being said, this review is completely my own, and free from the influence of Thomas Nelson Book Publishers.

No comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails