Tuesday, September 16, 2008

An Inspired Utterance, Thanks Agur

It is not often in my life that I can truly open the Bible and find a passage that speaks directly to my immediate need. In fact, I am usually the lucky one to open up to something like Nahum 1:2 (blood, jealousy, vengeance, you know...).
However today I was sitting here at my desk and I suddenly felt like I should open my Bible. So I did. Here is what God had to tell me today.

Proverbs 30: The Sayings of Agur

The sayings of Agur son of Jakeh-an inspired utterance.

This man's utterance to Ithiel:
"I am weary, God,
but I can prevail.
Surely I am only a brute, not a man;
I do not have human understanding.
I have not learned wisdom,
nor have I attained to the knowledge of the Holy One.
Who has gone up to heaven and come down?
Whose hands have gathered up the wind?
Who has wrapped up the waters in a cloak?
Surely you know!

"Every word of God is flawless;
he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.
Do not add to his words,
or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar.

"Two things I ask of you, Lord;
do not refuse me before I die:
Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
give me neither poverty nor riches,
but give me only my daily bread.

I should mention that I have really been struggling lately with believing lies about myself. Lies about who I am and whose I am. I have been pretty discouraged during this tough time of transition. And during those times I find it is pretty easy to forget that the word of God is flawless and a shield. And I truly resonate with Agur's statement, "I am weary, God." But his next statement is what I need to remember, "but I can prevail."

My prayer is that this time of transition will bring a time of joy and peace. There is one who wants me to believe the lies that tell me to despair and tell me that there is no hope and that I am not an effective and purposeful person--but there is One who is greater and it is this One who holds my soul, and my hand.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

God is so wonderful!!! How awesome that in your time of discouragement God led you directly to a passage of hope and encouragement. He truly is a shield to those who take refuge in Him. Thank you God that you know our every need and want to provide for it.

Carrie, you will prevail with God by your side. I'm so proud of you Honey. God is good!
Love you,
Mom :-)

Anonymous said...

Yes, Carrie, God does indeed hold your soul and your hand. He is faithful regardless of your feelings. We are given a "flashlight, not a flood light" less we run ahead of God and miss his leading and his guidance.

Stay in his word, Carrie, he will continue to speak through it.
Love you,
Aunt Barb

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails