Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A Good Reminder

I subscribe to weekly tips from Aby of Simplify101.com. They are quick little tidbits that help me stay on track in my goal to be an organizing goddess... okay, they are nice thoughts that I sometimes use to maintain my "not so goddess-like" organziation.

Today the tip hit home. There are some things in my life that I have been mentally avoiding. Here is what Aby says.

WEEKLY QUICK TIP

Focus on progress instead of perfection. Believe it or not, perfectionism is a very common cause of disorganization. Seems counterintuitive that a perfectionist could be disorganized, doesn’t it? Well, the desire for perfection is often so strong that it creates immobility, both at the onset of your organizing projects, and anywhere in the process if you begin to realize things aren’t turning out perfectly. If you feel that perfectionism is getting in the way of your desire for a more organized home and life, the first step is to recognize this fact. Then, look for ways to take small steps in the direction you want to go. Give yourself permission to organize imperfectly by focusing your attention on progress instead of perfection.

Aby, thank you for your wisdom. You are right. My problem is not disorganization really--I know how to do that! My problem is staying organized when I am feeling scared and thus immobile. So, along with my friend Agur, I am going to seize the day and realize that I'll make it through if I keep on trucking!

That just reminded me of a little tugboat book I used to read as a little kid. Does anyone remember that one? I think it was a Golden Book...

1 comment:

The Hitchcocks said...

Hi Carrie,

We used to have a book about a little tugboat that I loved. He always admires his dad, who's a great big tugboat, and one day he (the little tugboat) has to go out in a storm to rescue a ship. Is that the one you're thinking of? (Of course, what other plotline would there be for a story of a baby tugboat??).

Anyway, just wanted to let you know we've got a new blog at http://dovecote1.blogspot.com

Hope everything's well with you and Marc.

Christina

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails