Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Book Review: Hearts Awakening


Hearts Awakening is a novel by Delia Parr. The novel follows the story of Elvira Kilmer, an unattractive woman who long took care of her elderly parents only to be left alone and at the mercies of her cousins. Her "loving" cousin places her with Jackson Smith as a housekeeper. Jackson is busy fighting his own demons as he mourns the loss of his first wife and tries to raise his young sons. But as they get to know one another Elvira begins to realize that all is not as it seems. Jackson's first wife was not devout and her cheating left Jackson with many scars and trust issues. I don't know if that accounts for his cranky behavior which got really old over the course of the novel, but I digress. Elvira is also a little too meek as a character. She made me mad at times because I felt she was playing the "weak woman" character that is all too typical of Christian women in historical novels. It just made me a little sad. All in all, the love story between Elvira and Jackson is one of redemption and second chances. It was a good read even if it was a little on the depressing and meek side.

I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Note for Full Disclosure: While I do not receive any monetary compensation for my book reviews, I am provided with free complimentary copies of each book. That being said, this review is completely my own, and free from the influence of Bethany House Book Publishers.

No comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails