Monday, August 22, 2011

Book Review: Smack Dab in the Middle of God's Love


I recently read the book Smack Dab in the Middle of God's Love by Brennan Manning and John Blase. It is a delightful book about a middle aged couple named Willie Juan and Ana. Willie Juan and Ana love children even though they couldn't have any, and they welcome many children of all shapes, sizes and colors into their home. Ana makes sopapillas that are delicious and every evening the children join Willie Juan and Ana for a time of fellowship over the sopapillas. On one particular night the children ask a lot of questions about God's love and who God is. Willie Juan and Ana are happy to answer them and tell them that they are "Smack dab in the middle" of God's love. It is an adorable story with wonderful illustrations. I highly recommend it. My daughter, who is 10 months old, enjoyed the book even though there are a lot of words on each page. The writing is fun and it makes it a fun book to read aloud. If your child has a very short attention span, it might not keep their interest because there are a lot of words on each page. However, my 10 month old handled it, so I could be wrong.

I thought this book was wonderful and the message was a blessing. I also loved the multicultural nature of the story. It was a great message for our little girl who is growing up in a very diverse faith community. Overall I give this book a five out of five. It was a winner with our household!

Note for Full Disclosure: While I do not receive any monetary compensation for my book reviews, I am provided with free complimentary copies of each book. That being said, this review is completely my own, and free from the influence of Thomas Nelson Book Publishers.

No comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails