Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Book Review: 365 Ways to Organize Everything


I recently received a review copy of 365 Ways to Organize Everything by Emilie Barnes and Sherri Torelli. The book is well organized (ha!) and does a good job addressing the underlying causes of disorganization rather than just helping you to get out of your bad habits. The beginning of the book goes through several common reasons for disorganization. I really related to the idea of perfectionism, procrastination and pride leading to a paralysis in organization. I think that is very much where I get stuck. But, this is a book review not a therapy session, so I'll move on.

The book is divided into ten sections: Why Get Organized, Inviting Order into Your Home, Organize Your Family, The Joy of an Efficient Kitchen, Align Your Time and Priorities, Take Control of Your Home Office and Paper Piles, Manage Your Money, Bring Peace to Daily Life, Preparing For and Enjoying the Seasons, and A Five-Week Plan of Action. I loved the way they divided the book and I enjoyed the care they took in subdividing the table of contents so you could either read it cover to cover or seek out specific organizing areas you wanted to study.

The only thing that really confused me is that I didn't see where the 365 in the title came from. It seemed like just a catchy title rather than a part of the actual book. That was somewhat annoying to me. Not a huge deal, but if you put 365 in your title (or 101 or 200 or 1,000), I expect you to number the suggestions or tips.

I really enjoyed the action plan section at the close of the book. While I am certainly not all that organized, I think that if I actually buckled down and followed the suggestions in this book I would definitely see results. All in all I give this book a four out of five. My only suggestion is that they add more pictures. I am a visual person and pictures of organization really help me get excited about moving towards a more organized life.

Note for Full Disclosure: While I do not receive any monetary compensation for my book reviews, I am provided with free complimentary copies of each book. That being said, this review is completely my own, and free from the influence of Harvest House Publishers. If you are a publisher interested in having me serve as a reviewer, please contact me through my blog: www.lifeundivided.blogspot.com

No comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails